Thursday, April 18, 2013

The Dreaded "P" Word

Every parent of a two year old cringes at it.

Potty Training.

I decided to try to get it over with before we embark on our cross-country trip to visit home, which meant we needed to get started.

I am an advocate of the get-naked multiple days in a row method, mostly because I don't know any other method and it seems to work.

So Monday we went pants-less (and by we, I mean Ansley. Don't worry, I was fully clothed). The idea is that after a few instances of peeing on the floor, they decide it is better to go on the potty. It is easier for them to get the point if they have nothing on, underwear or pants still feel a little like wearing a diaper. You also set a timer for every 10-20 minutes and have them sit on the potty, hoping that they will go (usually by accident) and you reinforce their success like crazy (i.e. potty dance, jumping up and down, and acting a fool).

My saving grace has been this:


Notice what happens when the timer ends: we get serenaded by duck quacking. Which I told Ansley was the duck telling her it was time to go potty. Thank you Jesus for the quacking duck option on my iPhone. Amen. That way, she doesn't get frustrated at me for making her sit on that darn potty every 20 minutes. And if the duck says go potty, she's going to listen.

We also read Potty Time with Elmo. Every. Twenty. Minutes.



Every time she sat on the potty, she got a star sticker. If she successfully went potty, she got either an owl or cupcake sticker.


As you can see, we've spent a lot of time on the potty this week. But, it's Thursday afternoon and no accidents so far! We have also gone out a few different places over the course of the week with only one accident to report.

And here is a picture of her, just because she's cute




1 comment:

  1. I'm glad that you had success. We tried it for a few days only for her to wake up one day flat-out refusing to sit on the potty! She says, "I pee-pee on the floor!" So, she's back in diapers. We will try again later! Can't wait to get our two cuties together!

    ReplyDelete