(Isaac one month & 3 1/2)
I've found myself being a little over-emotional this last week looking at pictures from our St. Louis vacation. Have you seen Isaac lately? I just can't believe how big he is getting! I've been looking at him thinking "You're a kid. Like a real kid...not my little baby anymore." And then I start thinking about Ansley, who is still my little baby, but not for long...
Why is it that parents lament the growing of their children so much? We long to hold them and care for them like we can when they are babies. We love them in the same way, but we have to let them grow up, and unfortunately that means not always being able to hold them and protect them. And then as they grow we see how very human they are. Steve and I like to say "If you need proof that you don't need to teach a child to sin, look no further" as we gesture to our boy. It's not as much fun to see the sin of your children compared to the innocent images we have of them as babies.
Most of all, I lament the world that I have to let my children grow up in and be a part of. I'm not very old, but I've been around long enough to know that the world is full of false promises of fulfillment and satisfaction. The road is wide and easy that leads to destruction, this I can see every day. But the road is narrow and difficult that leads to Life. I am challenged every day to lead my children towards that narrow gate in the hopes that they will one day take up the Narrow Way for themselves. My greatest longing and prayer for them is that they put all of their hope and trust in Jesus. Growing up is inevitable. I can't protect them forever and that wouldn't be what is best for them anyway. Only Jesus can give them what they need. He can give them Life, and He promises to give it abundantly!
No comments:
Post a Comment